Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Toddler Anna Dress WIP

I have another dress from Frozen to show you! 

A friend of mine has a little girl, and she's looking for an 'age appropriate' dress for little miss to wear while they're at Disney Land. Of course, Disney has really figured out how to design ADORABLE kiddos, and they're clothes are equally cute. Anna is one of the top cute kids in Disney movies. 

The inspiration for the dress is Anna's toddler dress from the song, 'Do You Want to Build a Snowman?' You can get a better view of the dress in the pictures in the book A Sister More Like Me illustrated by Brittney Lee (very sweet story and pictures!) Brittney was one of the illustrators for Frozen, and her artwork served as a launch point for the look and feel of the movie. 

I did some research for making the dress itself, but couldn't find much. If you google 'toddler princess anna,' you get a boatload of toddlers in either the coronation dress or the winter dress. :sigh: Of course I made a Pinterest board to reference while putting the dress together. ;) 
Source
I found a pattern that would be relatively easy to alter (I used the same technique for the neckline alterations here as in Elsa's dress), scalloped the skirt, cut out a dozen tulips, and went to town with applique. I must say, I've never done this much applique before. Let's call it a 'learning experience.' Double-sided fusible interfacing is your friend when it comes to applique. I don't want to know how things would have turned out if I didn't have it.
  For the scallops, I did a similar thing as with the neckline - I cut out the contrast 'underskirt' band and zigzagged the 'overskirt' onto it. I wasn't about to try to hem scallops again. 
All that needs doing now is to attach the skirt to the bodice and put in some buttons!  

Until next time!
SG

No comments:

Post a Comment