Sunday, March 16, 2014

King Peter's Costume: complete!

It's done! :does happy dance:
Well, at least the sewing part of things. The crown still needs more work.

I've been honored to be asked to do a custom costume for a friend of mine for an upcoming ball. 

He wants to be King Peter from The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, but he has a limited budget. Thankfully, I was able to get all the fabrics from Goodwill! The tunic used to be a top sheet, and the cape used to be a table cloth. But, shh... this is a secret between you and me. ;) You certainly wouldn't guess that the materials had a previous life. All the trims and notions came from Joann's. Guess where most of the budget went to. Yeah, Joann's. It's amazing how quickly trims and what-not add up!

My dress form isn't happy with what a men's costume does to her girlish figure. Oh well, Lady Catherine, you're just going to have to get over it. 
For the tunic, I used McCalls' Pattern 5500. As far as alterations go, the sleeve was changed, I used a collar from another pattern that was buried in my pattern collection, and I added a pleat in the back since the neckline was too wide. As for the decal on the front, I just used a generic brocade stencil from Joann's and some gold fabric paint. In retrospect, I could have used puff paint to make it resemble embroidery, but I think it looks fine as it is. The trims were all sewn on by hand since my sewing machine is picky about what can and cannot be sewn. It was a perfect project to work on in the living while visiting with my grandma from out of town was staying with us for a weekend. (That was quite the run-on sentence...) 

The cape is Simplicity 5794. Altered of course. ;) The hem was trimmed to the correct length to allow for dancing (aka - no dragging on the ground), and I drafted a piece to allow for only needing the back part of the cape to match the style of Peter's in the movie. All in all, I'm pleased with how everything turned out. 

Now it's time to turn my sights onto recreating Peter's crown. I've never made a crown before. After some looking around on the interwebs, I came up with my own blend of things to make a crown fit for a king. Alas, there's no gold-smithing involved with this process. Just lots of foam, cutting things out, painting, and glueing. I'll post a more detailed post after I get it finished.     

Once a king or queen in Narnia, always a king or queen in Narnia.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment